Joan Collins is ‘still shaken’ as she returns home after terrifying fire

Dame Joan Collins has been back to her London flat two days after it was hit by a “terrifying” blaze and ­admitted: “I’m still shaken up.”

The actress, 85, was at home when the fire broke out on Saturday afternoon – sparked when strong sunlight reflected by a shaving mirror in her guest bathroom ignited a blind.

Husband Percy Gibson, 54, had battled the flames with a handheld extinguisher as firefighters dashed to the £3million Belgravia property.

The couple, both treated for smoke inhalation, were seen outside their charred home yesterday afternoon and Joan said: “I’m still shaken up about it.”


Firefighters warned others to be aware of the risk intense sunlight can pose. Crew manager Chucks Abili, who was at the scene, said: “These fires are not as rare as you think and this shows fires can happen in anyone’s home.

Rays

“At this time of year, the sun is low in the sky so the concentrated rays can set light to nearby items. We’ve seen fires caused by glass doorknobs, jars and bottles on sills, and hanging crystals.”

He added that “Mr Gibson did a good job in tackling the fire initially” but urged people to leave their property immediately and dial 999.

Joan has praised ambulance crews, the Met and London Fire Brigade for their responses. One post on social media read: “THANK U from the bottom of my heart to the marvelous @LondonFire who attended the terrifying fire.”

She added: “My hero Percy had already doused the flames consuming the entire wall with ­extinguisher.”

Read More

Showbiz editor's picks

  • Khloe Kardashian reunites with Tristan
  • Katie Price's new low
  • Barbara Windsor is fading
  • Strictly 'anger' over Kevin and Stacey

Source: Read Full Article