Martin Lewis reacts after urgent warning alerts presenter to scam ‘using his name’

Martin Lewis says UK ‘walking into a catastrophe’ on energy

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Martin Lewis took to Twitter and addressed a social media user who warned him about an online scam. The ITV favourite explained that he believed the website had been taken down.

It comes after the person in question shared a link from a site that claimed that the money-saving expert can assist Britons in getting out of a financial bind.

Twitter user, Mark Lanyon, approached Martin, 49, on the micro-blogging site yesterday.

They penned: “@MartinSLewis I assume you’re aware of this scam using your name to promote it? ‘Martin Lewis: We Are In A Crisis. Follow This Revolutionary Way to Survive Financially.'”

The TV star took the opportunity to address the tweet which was accompanied by a link to the site.

Martin assured the social media user that the information had nothing to do with him.

In view of his 1.2 million followers, the presenter explained that the scam website had been removed.

He wrote: “It already seems to have been taken down thankfully.”

The social media user later shared: “FYI – it is still being used via email drops. I get it (them) regularly. If you would like to see them and have the email details, I’m happy to forward them to you.”

Martin instead urged people to report any scam websites or emails that they come across to the government’s National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC).

He said: “Thanks for the offer, but we’re swamped with them.

“If you can forward them to [email protected] that’d be great though.”

In a follow-up post, Martin shared the official address to report fraudulent activity as he frequently gets asked about scam emails.

DON’T MISS…

Dawn French left heartbroken as Vicar of Dibley co-star dies aged 78[LATEST]
Lily James admits reaching out to Pamela Anderson amid backlash[ADMISSION]
‘Made my head spin’ The Chase’s Jenny Ryan speaks out on confusion[TV]

He tweeted: “I now have this stored, so I can cut and paste it as a response on Twitter, as I get asked so often.

“‘No it’s a scam email. Please forward to [email protected]'”

Social media users inundated the comment section, as Kate wrote: “Thanks. I’ve been getting lots of phishing emails, I was just deleting them. I shall now send them to the address given.”

Welshy girl remarked: “I send them, but STILL they keep coming in.”

Elsewhere, the money-saving expert penned an emotional message after he was left feeling “impotent” by being unable to aid consumers who were desperate for help amid fuel poverty.

Taking to the micro-blogging site today, he wrote: “I vowed to myself to do this after last Thursday’s show (it’s taken a few days to arrange) when in near tears as the reality dawned that millions will be thrown into fuel poverty.

“We can’t let that happen. Our vulnerable need protecting as they don’t have a financial buffer.”

He announced that he has donated £100,000 to the National Energy Action charity who aims to offer support and advice for those most vulnerable during the energy crisis.

 

Source: Read Full Article