The All-India Frank Anthony Memorial Inter School Debate, organised by ICSE Council, was hosted by N. L. Dalmia High School, Mira Road on July 11, 2018. Nine schools participated in category II comprising students from classes VIII to X.
The schools that participated were:
1. Hiranandani Foundation School, Thane (MA-061)
2. Bombay Scottish School, Mahim (MA-004)
3. Smt. Sulochanadevi Singhania School (MA-046)
4. Queen Mary School (MA-015)
5. Ryan International School, Goregaon (MA-102)
6. Jamnabai Narsee School (MA 012)
7. S. J. Poddar Academy (MA-089)
8. Greenlawns High School (MA-009)
9. Marble Arch School (MA-048)
After the registration process, the contestants and their teachers assembled in the school auditorium for the inaugural ceremony.
The moderator read out a brief report on Frank Anthony sent by the council. She introduced the judges to the participants. She read out the rules and the format of the debate to the participants. The topic was sent to the school in a sealed envelope, which was opened in the presence of the participants. After the announcement of the topic at 9.30 a.m., the contestants were given one hour for preparation. The topic for the debate was ‘By sparing the rod we have spoilt the child’.
Each team had one speaker ‘for’ and one ‘against’ the motion. The moderator strictly observed the time limit as per the guidelines..
The panel of judges comprised:
* Ms. Naghma Shaikh – Cambridge A-level English Language teacher of JBCN International, Borivali
* Ms. Nisha Surendra – Ex-Head of Department, English, Vibgyor High, Mumbai
* Dr. Rima Ghose Chowdhury – HR Leader I (Fmr) Vice-President – HCM Quinnox, Academician (HOD-HRM)
At 10:30 a.m., the judges, accompanied by the Principal Mrs.Seema Saini, arrived at the auditorium along with the participants.
This was followed by a war of words. The contestants put forth their views confidently and convincingly. After 2 hours of debate the results were announced as follows:
· Best Speaker – Aman Zaveri (Bombay Scottish, Mahim)
· 1st Runner-up Speaker – Faiz Khan (Marble Arc School, Andheri)
· Winning team – Bombay Scottish, Mahim
· 1st Runner-up team –Smt. Sulochana Devi Singhania School, Thane
Winners were awarded merit certificates. All participants received participation certificates. The CEO and Principal Mrs. Saini and the judges gave them valuable guidelines and advice. The programme concluded with the co-ordinator proposing a vote of thanks.
Thereafter contestants, guest teachers and students from visiting schools and the judges proceeded for lunch in the school cafeteria. On the whole, it was a well-organised event that was a huge success.
Source: Read Full Article