At least 50 Bollywood celebs under NCB scanner; 7 A-listers likely to be summoned in the drug probe

With the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) digging deep into the alleged Bollywood drug nexus, the primary case of finding out the reason behind Sushant Singh Rajput’s death and to determine whether it was a suicide or murder has taken a back seat. Last week, Sushant’s family lawyer Vikas Singh had also expressed his disappointment saying that the NCB’s probe is overshadowing the investigation into the actor’s death. And while the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is yet to make any arrest or even arrange a press conference to update the status of their investigation into the case, the probe agency has now said, in a statement, ‘all aspects are being looked at and no aspect has been ruled out as of date.’

“The CBI is conducting a professional investigation related to the death of Sushant Singh Rajput in which all aspects are being looked at and no aspect has been ruled out as of date. The investigations are continuing,” CBI spokesperson R.K. Gaur said. The CBI issued a statement on the issue from New Delhi shortly after Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh sought to know the status of the CBI probe, more than six weeks after it took up the investigation.

“You all know that the investigation into the Sushant death case was being done very professionally by the Maharashtra Police and Mumbai Police. But it was abruptly handed over to the CBI. We eagerly want to know… Even the people are now asking whether Sushant died by suicide or if he was murdered. We want the details of the CBI probe to come out,” Deshmukh told mediapersons.

While the CBI is conducting the overall probe focusing on the actor’s death, two other central agencies, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) and the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) are probing the financial and drugs angle that subsequently emerged. While the CBI and the ED are yet to make any arrest in connection with their probe, the NCB seems to have made a head way by nabbing 20 persons so far. It is also interrogating several prominent Bollywood personalities such as Deepika Padukone, Sara Ali Khan and Shraddha Kapoor. Those arrested include Bollywood actress Rhea Chakraborty, her brother Showik, and 18 other drug peddlers, suppliers, traders etc. Some are in NCB custody, a few in judicial custody and the rest out on bail.

Meanwhile, NCB Director-General Rakesh Asthana came to Mumbai on Sunday to review the investigations carried out for so far. It may be recalled that the CBI had registered a case on August 6. A team of the probe agency visited Mumbai on August 20, after which it summoned several people in connection with the probe into Sushant’s death. Sushant, 34, was found dead in his bedroom at his Bandra flat on June 14.

On the other hand, a report in Network 18 has stated that atleast 50 Bollywood celebrities are under the NCB scanner. 7 Bollywood A-listers including some big-ticket producers are likely to be summoned by the NCB in the next 48 hours.

(With IANS Inputs)

Source: Read Full Article